A mid-sized community in northern Orange County, Placentia, California, is home to a population of around 50,000 residents, as of 2004 estimates. Median household income for residents here is just over $62,000, and the community is made up of an area of about seven square miles. It was incorporated in 1926.
The city derives from a rancho created in 1837 from a Spanish land grant, Rancho San Juan Cajón de Santa Ana. The town's name is derived from a Spanish word meaning, broadly, "pleasant place to live." The first commercial Valencia orange grove was planted here in the late 19th century, and some smaller orange groves still exist. Oil was discovered in 1919 by the Union Oil Co., helping to fuel much of the city's early expansion.
Three historical site are in Placentia: The A.S. Bradford House, built in 1902; the Ontiveros Adobe Site, built in 1841; and the George Key Ranch, the oldest standing house in the town, built in 1898. There are city 14 parks and a main library operated by the city, and the city lies just a few miles east of Cal State-Fullerton. Alta Vista Country Club provides guests and members a place to play, and high school students perform a number of productions through El Dorado Theatre
Annual events celebrated in Placentia include a Fourth of July fireworks festival, summer concerts held at Tri-City Park on Thursdays in July and August, and the Heritage Festival and Parade in October. The Placentia-Yorba Linda Unified School District operates the public school system, which is made up of three high schools, three middle schools and 10 elementary schools. The Placentia Linda Hospital provides medical attention for residents here, and other larger hospitals are nearby in Anaheim, Orange and Fullerton.